Improve your odds, think critically:
- Cover the options, read the stem, and try to answer
Select the option that most closely matches your answer
- Read the stem with each option
Treat each option as a true-false question, and choose the "most true"
- Strategies to answer difficult questions:
· Eliminate options you know to be incorrect
If allowed, mark words or alternatives in questions that eliminate the option
· Give each option of a question the "true-false test:"
This may reduce your selection to the best answer
· Question options that grammatically don't fit with the stem
· Question options that are totally unfamiliar to you
· Question options that contain negative or absolute words.
Try substituting a qualified term for the absolute one, like frequently foralways; or typical for every to see if you can eliminate it
· "All of the above:"
If you know two of three options seem correct, "all of the above" is a strong possibility
· Number answers:
toss out the high and low and consider the middle range numbers
· "Look alike options"
probably one is correct; choose the best but eliminate choices that mean basically the same thing, and thus cancel each other out
· Double negatives:
Create the equivalent positive statement and consider
· Echo options:
If two options are opposite each other, chances are one of them is correct
· Favor options that contain qualifiers
The result is longer, more inclusive items that better fill the role of the answer
· If two alternatives seem correct,
compare them for differences,
then refer to the stem to find your best answer
· Always guess when there is no penalty
for guessing or you can eliminate options
· Don't guess if you are penalized for guessing
and if you have no basis for your choice
· Use hints from questions you know
to answer questions you do not.
· Change your first answers
when you are sure of the correction, or other cues in the test cue you to change.
- Remember that you are looking for the best answer,
not only a correct one, and not one which must be true all of the time, in all cases, and without exception.